Monday, November 25, 2013

Things I take for Granted- Post NIne

Eggs in our house don't tend to last long in our house.  Between 3 boys and a husband that tends to make breakfast we go through eggs (and I will admit cereal) at an alarming rate. Which is not a problem at all.  Until after 10 months of steady laying our chickens went cold turkey in September.  WAH!  Of course I had taken advantage of our 6 chickens that would lay us between 2 and 3 dozen eggs a week.  It was a reality check having white eggs in the house again (apparently I am racist?).  I was this >--< close to sending the chickens to some butchering family on craigslist when I decided I would give them a second chance.  I cleaned out the hen house, laid down fresh straw, installed the heat lamp, and upped the portion of protein lay pellets. 
Obama, Romney and Houdini
I did a little jig when I found one brown egg in the nest last Monday.  The next day followed with a brown and green egg!  In the last 7 days I have 16 eggs to show off!  Hooray for the pet chickens! 

Hopefully I will remember to appreciate my little chickens a bit more often.  They have a hard job after all.  It must be tough to clean out my garden, eat bugs out of my lawn and having to be forced to consume all of our scraps of dried toast and banana peels.  The life of a chicken. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment