Saturday, April 10, 2010

Warnings!

Does anyone find it interesting that we as parents do so many things to warn our children of dangers or hurts? For instance, when William or I put dinner into Sam's bowl and put it in front of him, if we were blowing on it to cool it down, Sam picks up that it is hot and does his little blow too, I don't know if it actually accomplishes anything but he then knows, that he should be more careful to prevent being burned. Many of the same things happen when Sam is in the bathtub, or running toward the street, and when Sam starts approaching a dog that we aren't familiar with. It is a constant, "Be careful!" or "Watch Out!". And however much Sam doesn't want to do the splits in the tub as he is playing he only listens to me after he has slipped and hurt himself. Then of course the tears come and I give him a hug and explain why he hurt himself.

The same warnings were given to me as a child. And now, later in life, I can see that we receive even more warnings from the world that weren't as apparent when I was a child and immature. I also receive warnings not from the world... ones that can be attributed to Heavenly Father as well as from the Evil One. I feel as though I respond to those in order to protect myself and my family. I remember that my Mom would use these feelings, "Motherly Intuition" when giving me an answer to a question. I was 15 and my friend and his Christian church group was going up to Bogus and my friend, a boy invited me to go along. I wanted to go so bad and when I approached my mother and got a negative response I asked why due to the fact that it would have of course been a blast to go up skiing, get to know new people and such. She replied that she just didn't have a good feeling about it. Now looking back on this experience, now that I know more, and now that I can have some sort of recognition for what she was feeling because I have had those feelings when making decisions for my family, that that was a warning. A warning of what? I don't know, but whatever would have happened didn't because I didn't go. I may have broken my leg or many other possibilities that have since run through my mind.

I hope that I will be able to continue to recognize these impressions, "warnings" as my children grow up so that I can protect them in times when they are to young and immature to do it for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment